With so many of us working from home nowadays, having a designated space for your office is more important than ever! I’m sharing a few tips today that will help you design your space.
- Think about location. When you’re planning out your home office, think about how much time you’ll be spending in there. Consider who will be around when you’re working & how well you deal with distractions. If you’re easily disturbed by noise, it might be a good idea to choose a spot that’s tucked away.
- Create a view. If your space has a window, position your desk to face looking outside. If not, I would suggest hanging up some art or creating a photo gallery on one of the walls. This way you have something to look at other than a plain wall.
- Light. Especially if your space doesn’t have a window, adding extra light fixtures or a small lamp to the desk can really help brighten it up. You’ll also avoid eye strain or potentially getting a headache from looking at a computer screen for a long period of time.
- Get inspired. Gather up a few sentimental pieces, choose some prints with motivating quotes to hang on the wall, paint the walls your favourite colour, etc. There are so many easy ways to create yourself a space that you feel motivated to work in.
- Keep it clean. Especially if your space is small, this will help with motivation & overall productivity. Adding floating shelves will maximize the space by keeping clutter off the floor and furniture.
- Stay organized. Before you go out and purchase a bunch of bulky things like drawer organizers and cabinets, think about how you work and organize yourself. Measure the space & pick out smaller furniture pieces so the room isn’t packed tightly.
- Make it cozy. Remember this is your space and you’ll be spending lots of time in there. Make sure you choose decor you enjoy. Invest in a good, comfy chair. Make the space feel like your own.
If your home doesn’t allow for a home office space & you’re thinking of selling, give me a call and we’ll find your dream home!